Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Hogan sends National Guard to Puerto Rico

Hogan sends National Guard to Puerto Rico

More than two dozen members of a Maryland National Guard unit have been ordered to by Gov. to assist in recovery efforts in the wake of .

Gov. Larry Hogan. (The Daily Record / Bryan P. Sears)
Gov. Larry Hogan. (The Daily Record / Bryan P. Sears)

Hogan, in a statement Friday, said 26 members of the Maryland National Guard’s 29th Combat Aviation Brigade will deploy to Puerto Rico with two water purification devices for up to 60 days. The machines, which can purify 1,200 gallons of water per hour, will be used to provide water safe for drinking, cooking and hygiene.

“During my conversation with Governor Rossello, I offered the full support of the State of Maryland to Puerto Rico and all areas devastated by these recent storms,” Hogan said in a statement. “Maryland is fortunate to have been spared the worst effects of this hurricane season so far, and we stand ready to respond to those in desperate need of resources.”